Do you want a divorce but you aren't sure what to do first? Here are a few tips on where to start:
1. Organize your financial paperwork- make a list of ALL assets and debts that you, and your spouse have;
2. Gather statements from bank, credit cards, mortgages, loans, and retirement accounts. Try and get the last 6 months of statements AND the statement from the month BEFORE you were married. Save them in a safe location;
3. Gather proof of earnings- locate the past 3 months of pay stubs for you and your spouse, and save the last 2 years of tax returns;
4. Find legal help. As the saying goes "You don't know what you don't know." and understanding your legal rights and responsibilities BEFORE you move forward can make a world of difference in the outcome; and
5. Find your support team- having a small, wise, and levelheaded emotional support team is critical when walking through a divorce. Even when you want a divorce it is a very emotionally driven process. Be sure to find your support team and have them ready!
Are you contemplating divorce and need legal advice? Choice is here to help. Set up a consultation today by calling 253-486-5557.
Tips by Dawn Nelson Legal Technician at Choice Legal Resources